Training & Resources
08.18.2017 - Traumatic childhood injuries related to changes in stress reactivity
Author: Ewing-Cobbs, et al. (2017), Psychoneuroendocrinology
Altered Stress System Reactivity After Pediatric Injury: Relation with Post-Traumatic Stress Symptoms
Research Article Highlights;
- HPA and ANS stress systems were dysregulated after nonintentional pediatric injury.
- HPA and ANS activity and regulation varied with age at injury and type of injury.
- Cortisol reactivity to social stress was attenuated after brain or body injury.
- After brain injury, cortisol elevated in children, sAA elevated in adolescents.
- sAA, but not salivary cortisol, predicted specific post-traumatic stress symptoms.
Keywords: hypothalamic pituitary adrenal, autonomic nervous system, salivary cortisol, salivary alpha amylase, injury, post-traumatic stress